In July 2018, Oxford Innovation and Economic Growth Solutions organised a roundtable event for leaders of seven manufacturing businesses to understand the challenges faced by Manufacturing SMEs and the external support that they use, or have used, in developing their businesses.
Ran by Tony Danker from Be the Business and supported by David Crichton-Miller of the SQW Group an Jane Galsworthy of Oxford Innovation, each leader was asked to introduce their business, following which an informal roundtable discussion took place. This discussion was loosely structured around open questions. Participants were very honest about the strengths and weaknesses of their businesses and the challenges that they face/have faced.
The seven manufacturing businesses are clients of the Manufacturing Growth Programme delivered by Economic Growth Solutions Ltd, based in the Midlands with the following criteria:
- Ranging in size from £1.4m – £10m turnover
- Ranging from 46 – 260 employees
- All well-established businesses, i.e. >10 years old
- Serving automotive, aerospace, food, engineering and leisure sectors
- All businesses export/trade internationally
- Three were family owned/managed businesses